Annie May Swift Hall, built on the Northwestern University Evanston campus in 1895, was designed by Charles R. Ayers in an eclectic mixture of Venetian Gothic Revival and Romanesque styles. The building was named in honor of the daughter of Gustavus F. Swift, the meatpacking tycoon; she was a Northwestern student when she died in 1889 from typhoid fever. The building originally included offices, recitation rooms, a library, a gymnasium, and an auditorium for what was then known as the School of Oratory. That school evolved into the School of Communication, which continues to occupy Swift Hall today ' as does WNUR (89.3 FM), the student-run radio station.
Photo by Daniel M. Reck '08 MSEd.
Support the Northwestern Bands
Buy Photos and Gifts
DMRphotoEvanstonIllinoisNorthwesternNorthwestern UniversityNorthwestern campusNorthwestern sightsSwift HallUnited Statesarchitecturebuildingcampuscollegeeducationoutdoorsschoolstructureuniversity
From Northwestern Sights